Kibre Aregawuyan Migbare Senay Direjit (KAMSD) is a locally established NGO legally registered with the Ministry of Justice in July 2007.
It was also re-registered with the Charities and Societies Agency of Ethiopia in Nov-2009 and May 2011 as Ethiopian Residents Charity Organization.
KAMSD stands for a “Dignity & Better Life of Elderly People” in Ethiopia.
The organization was established in July 2007 by concerned Ethiopian citizen, Mrs. Worknesh Munie. Mrs. Worknesh Munie is a private philanthropist who has been providing support to many elderly people in Addis Ababa. She has been supporting some elderly people for two years from her own family budgets through the provision of food, cloths and other supplies before the legal establishment and certification of KAMSD. Even after establishment and legal certification, Mrs. Worknesh has continued her effort in providing support to the elderly through KAMSD. The Organization has many partners and volunteers drawn from diverse professional and social backgrounds. Volunteerism is one of the core values that KAMSD promotes to serve the elderly people in Ethiopia.
To see Ethiopia where elderly people are no more in the streets for begging but live their final days honoured and dignified.
Mission Statement of the Organisation
Kbere Aregawian Megbare Senay Derijit (KAMSD) is a locally established NGO and legally registered with the Ministry of Justice that stands for a dignified life of elderly people in Ethiopia. It is committed to providing for the financial, material, psycho-social, and spiritual needs of the elderly, there by assist government in the national endeavor for poverty reduction by creating social security system that cater to the needs of the elderly and which contributes to making Ethiopia a place where elderly people live and die with honor and dignity.
To restore the human dignity of elderly people who are found to be leading a difficult and distressed life due to abject poverty and lack of support from close relative.
- To fully care and support up to 36 elderly people in the institution-based program
- To support elderly people through repairing their houses in the community-based support program
- To support elderly people, particularly women, through income generating activities.
- To support elderly people in the community in cash handout (100 Birr/month)
- To mobilize fund and resource to construct a multi-purpose care & support centre for institution-based beneficiaries.
Beneficiaries Selection Criteria and Procedure
- Age 60 or above
- Elderly people living on the streets of Addis Ababa with no support from close relatives and other GOs or NGOs
- Elderly people who are lost their economic supporter due to HIV/AIDS
- Elderly people who are willing to comply with the minimum requirements of the elderly home
- Elderly people who are sane
- Priority will be given for elderly women
- The above selection will be done in collaboration with A.A BoLSA with the following procedure:
Older person present request to Kebele/Woreda administration to enter an institutional based care for older persons
Kebele/Woreda verify the request and then send the application to sub city
The sub cities send their request on behalf of older person to A.A BoLSA
A.A BoLSA check the presence of accommodation for placement at KAMSD and send the older person with all the necessary
documents to KAMSD
KAMSD verify that the older person meet the criteria and willingness to abide by the rules of the institution
Finally the older person is enrolled as beneficiary
Core Values of KAMSD
- Dignity and Respect to Elderly People
- Blessings of the elderly
- Collaborative partnership